In Turkana

In Turkana

Friday 23 March 2012

FOUR TEAMS, ONE FAN...(Part 1)


I love football. It was not always like that. The first time our family owned a television set was way back in 1998, the year France hosted and won the World cup. I was around a decade old but my least concern was football. I remember not leaving our house entirely due to the T.V, watching shows as boring as ‘Good Morning Kenya’ and ‘Dunia Wiki Hii’ with my small sister and as the two suggest, K.B.C was the only station we had access to!

But then the World Cup began and it was time to leave the house…that is how much I hated football. Fast forward and Japan with South Korea are the World Cup hosts in 2002. Three factors got me hooked to the beautiful game; a certain Brazilian with a unique hairstyle called Ronaldo, Kilosh, a neighbor who used to pin all the football pictures from the dailies in a blank book and my school mates who already were in tune with the English Premier League.

If it was not for my strict mum, I would also have gotten the ‘Ronaldo’ hair style like almost all boys my age. He really was the best footballer of his generation and his record speaks for itself. Period. I always wanted to be opposites with Kilosh and so when he started fancying Real-Madrid, I decided to be a Barcelona fan. But the biggest influence was listening to my classmates discuss, argue and boast of teams like man-U and Arsenal. That made me curious for I wanted to be part of the ‘pundits’.

For the next three years, I faced a football ‘identity crisis’ when I knew not where to pledge my allegiance to. The aforementioned Kilosh tried all tact to convert me into a Man-United fan but I was not convinced and so when Arsenal booked an F.A Cup final with them on 21st May 2005, I decided that was the D-day. I was finally gonna choose which among the two English soccer giants to pledge my allegiance to…

Wonderful people, have a great weekend. Till next time, I remain Njabia the 3rd.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews