In Turkana

In Turkana

Friday 26 September 2014

Three Wise Men

Conventional wisdom that I agree with states that it is imperative that each person identifies and nurtures a relationship with a mentor. It is both smart and Biblical with prime examples being in the corporate world as well as extraordinary characters that were at some point mentored by someone else. Therefore, I count myself as extremely blessed to have three men in my life who are not even mentors per sê, they are great people that God in His great wisdom planned that I’ll learn, glean and copy from. They may seem ordinary but they are not. And as the last one of them departs the country today, this is just a piece that I hope to read years from now and recall these great pillars in my life.

Ten years ago must have been my first interaction with John Anyangu, though he prefers the Swahili name Yohana or as per latest developments, ‘Baba Jude’. In my church, he seemed like the all-purpose guy who you could rely on all matters. The one who ensured everything was gearing up well in a subtle manner as he worked in the background. Trust Johnny to pray with you and in the next minute run even the most mundane errands with. His laughter ever loud, his zeal indescribable and His walk with God was one that made you think that God would surely pen about Him if the Bible to have a few pages added to it. In 2005, Anyangu made me realize that I had a gift in the performing arts after founding a theatre group by the name Village Pastors Production. He became an inspiration to many of us youngsters while expecting nothing in return. Through Him, I began realizing the power of God in my life and that none of our works would ever qualify anyone for salvation.

I’ll probably never forget a time I wasn’t feeling good enough about an acting role he assigned me. His response was a tale about a small nail holding the doors of a big cathedral. He said though seemingly insignificant, all parts work together for good. Just do your part and leave the rest to God. ‘Johnny’ was his nickname and I guess his wife can now release a remix of the hit song by the same name since they found each other.

Upon completing high school in 2007, Kenya was engulfed in the post-election violence that spilled over to the beginning of the next year. That’s when I attended The Diguna School Leaver’s Camp of 2008. This is a Christian Mission Organization and though reluctant at first, I had no option but attend the youth camp since there’s wasn’t much to do as the violence persisted. A few days into the camp, I met Alan Mwangi, the guy responsible for me being there in the first place since he had catered for my admittance through my small sister who they’d been friends for long. I immediately thought he was the singer Kanjii as he trained us a rendition of the song ‘Under the Rock’. Though his dancing resembled that of Machang’i, the legendary Kikuyu actor and that is one aspect of his life that will probably never change.
So in that January of 2008, little did I know that the youth camp would change my life forever and since then, Alan has been an ever present figure in my life. Witty and wise, he is the guy you can trust to urge you on with life no matter how bleak matters appear. His passion for God and people has allowed Him to be a source of inspiration to many and I am no exception. I think he is the guy who I’d not want to leave behind when I go to my future in-laws for rũracio as not only would he take brilliant photos as is his ability but he’d help my case in the quest for a future soul-mate. You see, I always think he can make a great lawyer or politician for his convincing prowess. Either that or a renowned talk show host . But for now, the Kingdom of God continues to expand due to Alan’s diligence and zeal. Press on, brother!

The same first camp I attended at Diguna will always be special to me. On the first night, the last session was movie time and we were watching the brilliant ‘Black Diamond’. Suddenly, just before climax, the movie was rudely interrupted by a guy simply because there were rules to follow and it was past 10p.m., the allotted bed time. I disliked that guy there and then but God used him two days later as he led us in a session for prayer and I gave my life to Christ. Behold, Tony Ouma-a man who is more of a brother than a friend. I’ll forever be indebted to him. Immediately upon my salvation, he founded a bible-study group on realizing the need for spiritual guidance and till today, I always wear a wristband bearing the BS group name; Chosen 8 29.
Immensely gifted with eloquence, singing ability and tons of wisdom, God has surely transformed the lives of many young people through this fan of K’galo and the former giant Man Utd... Inadvertently, time has now flown and so has he today aboard a flight to a land far away. However, the seeds Tony has sown in my life and in that of many others will hopefully be replicated. A skilful footballer, that’s probably the only thing that failed to rub off on me J but I hold many memories mostly on matters spiritual, relationships and football. Ever approachable, I’ve probably opened up about the most personal battles over the past few years in my metamorphosis from a boy to a man with Tony.

There are many other great people in my life and I thank God for them. And this post is not about perfect people...no, far from it. That would be utterly superficial. But I’ll remain forever indebted to Anyangu, Mwangi and Ouma for their patience with me, their zeal and genuine love for God and their passion to impact our generation. Now that the three have families (Don’t get ideas, ladies), I pray that they’ll be immensely blessed especially with love, health, peace, joy and prosperity.

God bless ya fellas. I celebrate you.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews